The conference aspect of IPSPE is usually held for three days prior to the exhibition portion. The show draws its 10,000-15,000 attendees from virtually every area of the industry, including pool/spa builders and installers, retailer, service/maintenance, landscape architects/design agencies, consultants, contractors/subcontractors, distributors/suppliers/wholesalers, manufacturers, manufacturers’ agents and professional pool management.
IPSPE was founded in 1956 by the National Spa & Pool Institute as the NSPI International Expo & Conference. Hanley Wood purchased the show in February 2001 and renamed it the International Pool & Spa Expo, or IPSE. In 2005, the Backyard Living Expo was launched side-by-side with IPSE and the show was re-branded as International Pool & Spa Expo | Backyard Living Expo. In 2007, IPSE | BLE acquired the AQUA Show, its main competitor. IPSE | BLE was held in Orlando, while AQUA had a home in Las Vegas. In 2008, IPSE, BLE & AQUA were combined into one mega event and rebranded as the International Pool | Spa | Patio Expo. The show is now held at the Mandalay Bay Convention Center.
Events and Attractions
In past years, the first three days of IPSPE have comprised strictly seminars and meetings. During the trade show portion, seminars continue, and the convention hall is open from 10 a.m.-5 p.m., with a slightly shortened schedule on the final day of the event.
- Welcome Party: Recently sponsored by Cal Spas, the event is held the first day the show floor is open. Often, it is held at the House of Blues in the Mandalay Bay with a live band performance, dancing and snacks.
- Genesis 3 Design Group Family Reunion & Winemaker Dinner: The meal is a hot ticket at the convention, featuring luxurious dining at a gourmet restaurant with a renowned winemaker.
In 2009, all attendees were able to participate in the Genesis 3 Lifestyle Program, a show floor gathering featuring a vineyard owner and wine tasting.
- Genesis 3 Design School: A multi-day educational program for pool builders conducted by the design group, a show partner.
- APSP Past Presidents/Chairman's Dinner: By invitation only for former heads of these swimming pool and spa trade organizations.
- Pavilions: Several specialized areas can be found in the convention hall, including a new product showcase, a VGB pavilion and a green products area.
- Live Workshops: Conducted on the show floor by various entities, including APSP.
- Exams: Offered for certified service, certified pool/spa operator and certified builder proficiency.
- APSP International Awards of Excellence
- Donna Bellantone, director
- Lindsey Moeller, show manager
- Kim Rogers, marketing manager
- Sandi McMullen, sales manager
- Tracy Beaulieu, conference manager
- Kristen Bradshaw, operations manager
- Tina Brinkley, associate operations manager
- Kayla VanCleve, senior account executive
- Tonya Stiles, account executive
- Amber Lane, marketing coordinator
- Rick McConnell, president of Hanley Wood Exhibitions
2010: Nov. 3-5, returning to the Mandalay Bay Convention Center in Las Vegas